I saw this yummy Facebook video post for Sushi Rice Dip by Buzzfeed Tasty! I pinned it and made it last week during Blizzard Jonas. We modified the recipe as noted below. It took about 10 minutes to make and longer to eat (which is a sure win since most things are eaten quicker)! 😀 😃
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
2 cups water (approx)
0.5 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp oil
1 cup shiitake mushrooms
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
some diced onions (approx 1/8 cup)
a dash of sesame oil
1. Use a rice cooker to for the 1 cup jasmine rice. The water trick is to put your hand into the pot and the water should be covering half your hand. Pour in the 1 tsp of sugar and the 0.5 Tbsp of white vinegar.
If you do not own a rice cooker, cook over a pot for about 20 min over high heat until boil, then reduce to low heat.
2. Slice up your avocado in small cubes. Since this one was really big, we only used half.
3. In your preferred appliance (pan or pot), throw in the 0.5 cup of shiitake mushrooms and cook until brown. Add in the chopped onions. Add in the 0.5 Tbsp of soy sauce and the 0.5 Tbsp dark soy sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
What I did instead was pour all the sauces together with the mushrooms and onions and cooked it for about 5 minutes on medium heat. All the sauces dried up so it didn’t ooze onto the rice as in the Buzzfeed Tasty video.
4. When your rice is done, take a square-ish bowl and put a bit of sesame oil in it. It adds good flavor to the rice and smells great. Take a spoon and spread the rice onto the sides of the bowl.
5. Put those cut up avocado pieces on the side and then the mushroom mix in the middle.
6. Cover the top with more rice. Take a plate and cover the bowl. Then, flip. Viola~
Site note: because of this blog post and trying to get the image gallery displaying correctly, I did some Google searching and code updating (thanks to this support topic). This gallery went from awkward one line at a time to 3 pics in one row with captions below each image. Yay! I’m still working on little changes.
7. Attack the rice dip with sushi seaweed, cut into 4 pieces. Anyone want a taco / riceball 🍙 ?